Starting this coming October, your Tuesday nights will never be the same. In an attempt to restart the combustible cultural machine left idle to rust in the garage for so long Anomali Coffee and MC Drew W want to welcome you to a night of poetic performances – a night of spoken word poetry. With the unleashing of the first ever Wham! Bam! Poetry Slam! on an unsuspecting city, some of the finest poetic talents will creep out from the darkest nooks of the creative corners of Jakarta, to enter a competition in which only one will emerge as champion.
If you are unfamiliar with the Poetry Slam! format – here is the skinny on the fat:
1. It’s open to the public so everyone has the chance to read a least one poem – this includes you!
2. Poems may not be longer than 3 minutes – anything over will be deducted points
3. No props or musical instruments are allowed
4. Your poem must be an original, written by you the poet within the last 12 months
5. 5 judges, chosen from the audience, will give scores from 1-10 after each poem
6. Judges will base their scores on both the poem and performance of the poet
7. Audience members are allowed to try and influence the judges’ scores
8. Judges should try not to be influenced by audience members
9. There will be 3 elimination rounds – so every poet should bring 3 poems in the case that they reach the championship round
10. Poets are encouraged to memorize their poems rather than read them
If you are still unclear on what a Poetry Slam! is and how poems are delivered, follow these YouTube links for some boggle-eyed merriment:
Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFaY8zpwrEE&feature=related to find more about what exactly a poetry slam is.
Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uAwh5ZAgVY&feature=related to see a woman wax lyrical.
Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpog1_NFd2Q to see a guy who’s got a message.
Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHZ6zVG6-6E to see a woman who holds nothing back (adult content advisory).
Now, put your pen to the paper and kick off your caper of poetic persuasion for this fine occasion or if poet you’re not, yet you like it a lot, you are welcome to come and just have some fun.
Where: Anomali Coffee, Jl. Senopati #35 Kebayoran Baru
When: October 28th from 8-11 p.m.
Who: Open to the public who may perform or just watch
For more information, click here